Project CLASS Core Skills Training
The Core-Skills Training is a full-day training experience (6.5 hours) that is intensive, highly interactive and focused on skills development. The Core-Skills Training is usually taken in groups such as whole schools (all teachers & staff). The Core-Skills Training is provided In-Person at our training facility located in the Heights or via Zoom format. This training includes check-in from 8:00 to 8:30. Workshop participants include teachers, teacher assistants, principals, assistant principals, parents, counselors, other staff and adults engaged with children. Typically, there is one Project CLASS Trainer for each cluster of 4-7 workshop participants to facilitate role-playing and skill acquisition by all participants. Workshop Training most frequently occurs the two to three weeks before the start of school in August.
The Project CLASS Workshop builds on the current skills of the participants and strengthens abilities to:
- concentrate teaching on important, simple, clear, defined user-friendly social skills;
- notice and communicate what children are doing and not doing in their social behavior;
- communicate with language and intention that help children implement skills and experience success;
- respond in a consistent and effective way to children’s appropriate and inappropriate social skills behavior, facilitating their social skills development;
- effectively “set expectations” for social skills behaviors;
- effectively use “praise and positive attention” directly linked to social skills behaviors;
- effectively use “reminder prompts” directly linked to social skills behaviors;
- effectively make use of “choices” and “consequences” directly linked to social skills behaviors;
- make social skills teaching FUN by using music, songs, movements, and stories;
- avoid a number of pitfalls that lead to power struggles with children;
- feel more confident that participants know what to teach and how to teach social skills effectively;
- teach social skills positively with positive results.
To confirm available Project CLASS Workshop Training dates,
contact Katrina Chance at 832-623-9889 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 10, 2021 Tuesday, 8:00 to 2:30, In Person
August 14, 2021 Saturday, 8:00 to 2:30, In Person
August 17, 2021 Tuesday, 8:00 to 2:30, In Person, Closed
August 19, 2021 Thursday, 8:00 to 2:30, In Person, Closed
August 20, 2021 Friday, 8:00 to 2:30, In Person (Limited Space Available)
August 28, 2021 Saturday, 8:00 to 2:30, In Person
We train hundreds of teachers during the school year and there are a limited number of training slots available each workshop date.
Project CLASS Workshop Training Cost & Enrollment
Tuition for Project CLASS Workshop Training is $300 per person, with a discount to $250 per person if there are 3 or more participants. Tuition includes each participant receiving a set of 10 social skills posters (11 x 17), songs & music, and manual. Posters are also available in Spanish. Tuition needs to be pre-paid in full for registration.
Payment Information for Registration
- For CC payment over the phone, contact Katrina Chance at 832-623-9889.
- For PayPal payment: www.projectclass.org (Donate/Pay)
- For Check payment, make check payable to Houston Achievement Place and mail to:
Houston Achievement Place (Attn: Project CLASS)
245 W. 17th Street
Houston, TX 77008
Additionally, we provide Project CLASS services to whole schools comprised of three integrated components:
Project CLASS Core Skills Workshop Training
In-School & In-Classroom services provided by Project CLASS Trainers who are typically certified Teachers (1 or 2 full-school days each week of the school year, school hours)
On-going direct contact services for the children with the most behavior problems & social skills deficits
Project CLASS Workshop Training Location for In-Person Training Sessions
Location: 236 West 17th Street. Houston, Texas 77008.
Registration: 8:00 to 8:30 am.
Workshop: 8:30 to 3:00 pm. (starts promptly at 8:30 am).
Working Lunch provided.